Site Guidelines and Rating Rules
RateMyTeachers.com helps students, parents and faculty make informed decisions by promoting transparency within education.
Please review the following guidelines before posting a rating and/or comment on the Site:
- Be honest and objective in your assessment of a teacher/professor;
- Limit your comments to an individual's professional abilities;
- Proof your comments before submitting. Poor spelling will not cause your rating to be removed. However, poor spelling may result in your rating being discredited by those who read it;
- Leave off your Name, Initials, Pseudo Name, or any sort of identifying mark when posting;
- Refer to the "rating categories" to help you better elaborate your comments;
- Remember that negative comments that still offer constructive criticism are useful. Comments that bash a teacher/professor on a personal level are not; and
- Submit helpful comments that mention a teacher/professor's ability to teach and/or communicate effectively, course load, type of course work and course topics.
- Use "definitive" language, (e.g., "always","never","etc.");
- Include any piece of information that may identify you or other students;
- Include any piece of identifiable information for a teacher/professor that would allow someone to contact the subject outside of his/her school. This also includes remarks about the person's family and/or personal life;
- State your opinion as fact;
- Post a rating if you have not taken a class with the teacher/professor;
- Input false course or section codes;
- Rate a person more than once for the same class;
- Reference existing comments;
- Rate yourself or other teachers/professors, if you are a teacher/professor;
- Speak on behalf of other people; or
- Post hyperlinks.
Comments that contain the following will be removed
- Profanity, name-calling, and/or vulgarity, derogatory remarks about religion, ethnicity or race, physical appearance, mental and/or physical disabilities;
- References to a teacher's/professor's sex life, including sexual innuendos;
- Claims that a teacher/professor shows bias for or against a student or specific group of students;
- Claims about a teacher/professor's employment status, including previous employment;
- Claims that a teacher/professor engages or has engaged in illegal activities;
- Accusations that the a teacher/professor is rating him/herself or his/her colleagues; or
- A language other than English. Comments must be written in English only. French is allowed if you attend a French-Canadian school.
The "Do Not" section of these Site Guidelines will be strictly enforced and the Site reserves all rights to delete or otherwise take appropriate action regarding any violations. If you see a rating that you believe violates these Site Guidelines, please click the flag icon next to the comment and state the problem. Such comments will be evaluated by the Site's personnel.
Please do not flag a rating just because you disagree with it.